logo

Studio Update: Feb. 24, 2014

I had been looking SO forward to this past weekend! I have been so busy at work that I haven’t had a chance to make a dent in any of my long-standing projects.

One such project that I am super excited about is a painting challenge. I was perusing the interwebs a few days ago and stumbled upon a YouTube video by Matt from MiniWargaming.com. He had a Necron painting challenge and I thought to myself, “that’s a pretty good idea.”

I have a bunch of Necrons that are sitting around, and I would like to knock them off the list. I have made the challenge that I want to paint 3 Canoptek Spyders to tabletop standard by the end of the weekend.

I prepped and primed the models on Thursday evening so I could let the primer cure for a day, then I fired up the air compressor Friday morning so I could return to the studio with a full air tank.

necron_spyder-002

My plan was to paint the carapace, reactor shielding and legs in Vallejo Model Air Mahogany, then zenithal paint Reaper Master Series Auburn Shadow to match my Novokh Dynasty paint scheme. The ball joints for the legs and the Spyder body will be painted with Vallejo Model Air Gun, then stippled and drybrushed with Reaper Master Series Blackened Steel followed by Tarnished Steel and then washed with diluted coats of Nuln Oil and Devlan Mud.

You know how the saying goes. “The best laid plans of mice and men…”

I got all 3 of the bodies base coated and washed Friday night.

necron_spyder-008

I got a bit sidetracked on Saturday. My wife went out to run errands and I stayed home with the little one. We watched some Olympics and played a couple of games of Sorry Sliders. I didn’t get started until after 5. I spent an hour painting the legs on the first model, only to find it didn’t work like I intended. After actually applying the colors to the legs, I had to make a significant change. The legs in the Auburn shadow made the Spyder look very colorful and less metallic. Back the garage I went to reprime the model.

The second time around, I painted the entire model with Gun, then stippled and drybrushed in Blackened Steel and washed with Nuln Oil. Then a light drybrush of Tarnished Steel.

necron_spyder-007

The ribbed cables were painted with Vallejo Model Air Copper, along with the glyphs running down the carapace.

The most difficult part for me was the green orbs and the lenses. I attempted to paint them to look like glass or gemstones. I had found a few techniques and tutorials, but I have yet to get them right.

After the orbs, I went in and did some cleanup, using a sponging technique. Then I took some Reaper Master Series Bloodstained Red and added a little weathering around various parts of the model.

My goal was to have these bad boys done by end of the weekend. I have SO many more models to finish up and my week days are going to need to be used for other pursuits, one of which is a business plan for a long-awaited entrepreneurial endeavor…

I got pretty close. I knocked out most of 2 of the 3 Spyders. I still have some work to be done, but I am super-happy with the progress I made.

necron_spyder-002

necron_spyder-008

necron_spyder-004

necron_spyder-003

Here’s Lookin’ At You, Kid

necron_spyder-009

necron_spyder-010

I still have some work to do. Still some stuff to finish up. However, I just received a call that my Iron Warriors have been called in to break down a fortress in an upcoming campaign… Just when I thought I was getting into a groove…

Iron within.

Comments are closed.