I have been elbow-deep in Necrons for the passed couple of weeks, and I decided to take a short recess from my metal monstrosities to tackle an old group of friends – my Dark Eldar army. I miss these girls. Yes, the entire army, with the exception of the pilots, are all female. I have dubbed the army, “The Baroness and her Sky Bitches.” As you can probably tell from the name, the army is a mass of flyers. Hellion swarms, Venoms, Reavers, Raiders, Razorwings and Ravagers – oh my!
The army has been assembled and primed for a while now, as I got tired of painting purple and moved on to newer, fresher projects. But now I have some time since the weather has gotten crappy to break out the airbrush and my purple paints, and try to make a dent in the painting of this army.
I started with the biggest, baddest model I had – the Razorwing Jetfighter. It took some balls for me to start here. One of the main reasons I have been reluctant to paint is because I don’t want to mess up the army. I have walked into enough game shops and cringed at the sight of a tight army with horrible painting – and I don’t wanna be that guy. But, what the hell. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I started with a basecoat of Reaper Royal Purple mixed with Reaper Pure Black. I covered the entire model with very thin coats until I saw the color pop through a bit. It is a very dark color, which I intentionally wanted. Next, I added straight Royal Purple. My next step was probably not the most ideal, but I didn’t have the patience to wait it out. With the troop painting, I used GW paints, mixing Liche Purple with Warlock Purple. But seeming as how I no longer had those colors at my disposal, I used Royal Purple and tried adding a little bit of white at a time. Not the best result, but it’s subtle enough for my liking.
I did have issues with the airbrush clogging and spattering. Something I need to work on as my airbrush skills improve. I will do some cleanup and then begin edge highlighting, but here’s what I have so far…