logo

IN PROGRESS: Forgeworld Ironclad Dreadnought

For the passed couple of days I have been working on 2 of 3 Forgeworld Ironclad Dreadnoughts for my Iron Warriors Siege army. They have been sitting around in various stages of completion. But seeming as how I would like to actually play a game, I figured I should invest some time and get to finishing them off.

They are a beautiful model – when cast properly. These two needed some work. Being that they are game pieces and not display pieces, I didn’t put a whole lot of time into them. I mean, there really isn’t a whole lot you can do when the front half of the torso is about an eighth of an inch off from the back half… But I digress… Anyways, I whipped out my trusty Dremel Stylus and did what I could.

I started with an overnight soaking in Diet Coke. (Works wonders, just be sure to use Diet. The sugar in regular Cola is not a good thing.) I then sanded the figure to get out some of the imperfections and sand down the mold lines and remainder of sprue. Then I scrubbed with toothbrush, soap and water. I let it dry and gave it a black prime coat. After that dried, I gave it a quick once over with the airbrush and Vallejo Model Air Rust. This will give it a ruddy dirty look when it’s completed. Next, I pulled out the 3/8 inch stippling brush and stippled the entire model with Reaper Master Series Blackened Steel. This has absolutley been my go-to color with my Iron Warriors. It’s darker than GW’s Botlgun Metal, but still has a nice metallic silvery sheen to it. I was careful not to have too much paint on my brush, as I wanted the Rust color to show around panel edges and in recesses. Next step was to apply a little wash. A homemade brew, thanks to Les Bursely’s instruction:

Next I stippled lightly with Vallejo Model Air Chrome. I chose to use this in order to give it a slightly different look from the tank models in the army, as they followed the same steps to this point. After that, I did a little highlighting with GW’s Iyanden Darksun and used some Blue Painter’s Tape to mask off the stripe on the right leg.

There’s still a lot of work to do, but it’s coming along. I just received the metal grate bases in the mail yesterday, so I’ll take a shot at that. More pics to come! This is 1 of 3 Dreadnoughts that will be part of my Dreadnought Talon Squad from the Badab War Siege Assault list. Stay tuned!

Comments are closed.