logo

IN PROGRESS: Chaos Vindicator Squadron

Well, 4 heavies just isn’t enough for Iron Warriors – plain and simple. Now, 4 heavies with 3 squads of 3 Vindicators each – is more like it. And after building the 6th – I realized how ridiculous that was… I have never played a game of Apocalypse and I don’t play games big enough to support 9 Vindicators… So, for the time being, I am content with 6.

So I began plugging away.

I assembled the models and primed with Rustoleum Camouflage Flat Black. I then broke out the airbrush and basecoated the entire model with Vallejo Model Air Rust.

After that was dry, I pulled out my mvp (most valuable paintbrush) for the next task. I grabbed my 3/8 inch stippling brush and stippled some Reaper Master Series Blackened Steel all over the model. I was careful not to overdo it. I wanted the tank to look kinda dirty. Not necessarily rusty, but dirty.

At this point, I left the body alone and went in on the siege shield. I grabbed the airbrush and gave the shield a nice even coating of Vallejo Gloss Varnish. Then I needed to mask the shield so only the inner portion would be subjected to the next few steps. I originally used Frog Tape, as suggested by some RC modellers, but I had a bad experience with one of the earlier shields. When peeling away the tape from a completed shield, the tape not only pulled up the airbrushed paint, but also the varnish, basecoat and primer. I wasn’t a happy dude, and I now stick to Blue Painter’s Tape.

I taped up the shield and coated the shield with some Garnier Fructis hairspray. Yes. Hairspray. Then sprinkled a little kosher salt on the shield to mimic paint chips and wear. I left that sit overnight. The next day, I applied some Iyanden Darksun to the shield. After the was completely dry, I taped up the shield to mask off the hazard stripes.

I left that overnight to dry and scrubbed the shield under cool water with a soft toothbrush to remove the salt.

Comments are closed.